CORPORATE GYM EQUIPMENT HIRE
The old adage 'healthy body, healthy mind' is never more true than in today's busy and competitive workplace.
Research has proven that exercise and gym breaks for employees during the working day can significiantly improve mood, energy levels and day to day productivity in the work place. Exercise also minimises stress and lowers sick absenses giving rise to a more productive work force. Employers are increasingly introducing fitness initiatives and wellbeing programmes as part of their staff engagement strategy to encourage employees to become more active. Cut backs on staff bonuses and promotions have been inevitable in recent years but programmes to improve employee fitness can be an effective way for employers to express gratitude and illustrate a commitment to the workforce. In addition, not only does a company gym improve staff retention, it also assists with the recruitment process by attracting high calibre applicants due to valuable company perks and improved employer profile.
So how can you implement a fitness initiative in your organisation?
Some companies pay for employee gym memberships at commercial facilities and this might be the only option if space is at a premium. However, an on site staff gym should always be considered first if you have the space as it can be up to 5 times cheaper than paying commercial gym rates. An on site gym is a great way to promote a company team building environment while encouraging social interaction and healthy interdepartmental competition. Introducing a culture of exercise and training for charity events instils a feel good factor within a company and fosters a sense of belonging along with a heightened level of achievement individually or as a group. Whilst it is unrealistic to expect everyone to participate in organised events, employers who promote these types of events are showing they're commited to building a healthy team
Can Hire Fitness design, install and advise on how to manage our staff gym?
We have designed and installed hundreds of office gyms up and down the country, advised on the day to day management and maintained and serviced facilities on a regular basis. Our level of involvement depends entirely on your requirements, we can be as hands on or hands off as you need us to be.
We use not only years of experience and expertise within the industry but also state-of-the-art design software to provide a comprehensive design service to ensure you achieve the best possible staff facility in the space you have available. We have designed and installed office gyms for some of the biggest companies in the UK like LEGO, BBC, Walkers Crisps, Innocent Smoothies, Unilever, Sara Lee, Lucozade.
How does the day to day management work in an office gym?
There are a number of ways an office gym can be managed and that's normally dependant on the size of the organisation and staff numbers. In larger organisiations, it's usually a dedicated department which looks after the day to day running of your staff gym. That department is usually the Facilities Department and their role includes cleaning, reporting any technical issues to Hire Fitness and managing the staff membership of the facility. You'll need a qualified locally employed gym instructor/personal trainer to introduce staff to the equipment and do the initial inductions. They should encourage staff to join the facility and should initiate staff training programmes and events to create a culture of healthy living. This person is usually paid on an hourly basis at a rate of around £30-£50 per hour.
Another example of the day to day management of a staff gym is where the employees themselves manage the setting and form a management team to ensure the smooth running of the facility. This is more appropriate in smaller companies; a personal trainer will still be required in this scenario.
How much and what type of fitness equipment will we need for our staff gym?
Before you embark on an office gym, it's important to carry out a needs analysis. You need to know what sort of interest there is in a gym facility within your business and the age and mix of employees will also have some bearing on the amount and type of equipment you choose. Most organisations get an uptake of between 15% -25% of employees using a company gym on a regular basis.
Once you have this demographic information, we can advise on the best equipment mix for your office gym.
- Cardio: This type of equipment is the core of any gym setting. It will include treadmills, elliptical cross trainers, exercise bikes and rowing machines.
- Mats and Accessories: If space allows, a matted area is useful to allow people to warm up and cool down before and after exercising and also to incorporate stretching and floor exercises into their fitness programme. We have a great range of fitness accessories to help maintain motivation.
- Strength and Endurance: A bench and free weights is a good option for those wishing to improve their general strength and endurance.
What funding options can Hire Fitness offer?
We can provide you with a number of funding options to finance your gym facility including monthly hire, standard lease which is typically spread over 3-5 years or purchase. We work with a range of finance partners who will assist you
Apart from the fitness equipment, what else might we need?
- Controlled access to the area on the door (swipe cards or keypad)
- Paper towel dispenser and bin
- TV or Music
- Water dispenser
- First aid kit
- Telephone for emergencies
- Some kind of push button alarm point for emergencies
- CCTV if required
- Posters (we supply free fitness related posters)
- A qualified personal trainer / instructor
- Lockers for the safe storage of personal items
- Showers and changing facilities
Can Hire Fitness advise on Health and Safety?
We have years of experience of dealing with health and safety issues in gym settings and we can advise of all aspects of health and safety in gyms. There are strict guidelines for maintaining a safe environment which we can help you with including the following:
- The landlord for the building needs to be informed a gym is planned
- Your insurance company should be informed
- A secure entry system should be installed to ensure only screened members are allowed in
- A buddy system should be adopted to ensure nobody works out alone at certain times of the day
- A risk analysis needs to be drawn up for supervised gyms
- Power cables should be properly concealed
- Emergency contact should be easy to use and obvious to gym users
- First aid kits should be readily available
- The fitness equipment should be regularly safety checked and serviced
Can Hire Fitness provide a comprehensive after sales service?
We can provide a comprehensive after sales package including regular planned maintenance and servicing to suit your requirements.
Are there any further company benefits to be gained by providing a staff gym?
There are a number of prestigious local and national awards for employers who encourage and generate a positive, trusting and engaging working atmosphere for employees.
Awards from bodies such as these offer companies great exposure within industry.